by Michael Kult
- 4 Russet Potatoes – cut into 1/4’s
- 1/2 Head Cauliflower – roughly chopped
- 1 Tbl butter or oil
- 1/2 – 1 pound ground beef or 1 can kidney beans
- 2 Carrots – chopped
- 1 Onion – chopped
- 2 Celery Stalks – chopped
- (other optional vegetables include corn, peas, zucchini)
- 1 Diced Tomato can
- Salt and Pepper
- Parmesan Cheese (if available)
- Dried Oregano, Thyme (if available)
- Heat oven to 400. Boil potatoes and cauliflower until soft, drain (reserve 1 cup of water from pot) and mash. Add reserved water as needed. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat pan to medium high, add butter or oil and cook carrots, onion, celery until softened (give the carrots a couple minute head start).
- Add beef and cook until all traces of pink are gone. If using beans add instead of beef and continue to next step.
- Add canned diced tomatoes and bring to a ‘boil’. Add water if necessary, you don’t want the mixture to dry out. Season with salt and pepper and herbs if available.
- Put cooked vegetable/meat mixture in oven proof pan, top with potatoes (add cheese if available) and cook for 30 minutes.
- If serving later everything can be prepped ahead of time, allowed to cool, and put in the refrigerator. Increase cooking time to 50-60 minutes.